Sugar is not the only reason why your dentist might warn you to avoid certain treats. In fact, some foods can be dangerous to your oral health in multiple ways. Understanding the reason to avoid foods that are dangerous to your oral health could help protect your oral health and keep your teeth safe from harmful substances.
Our doctor, Dr. Michael Sanchez, DDS, is here to help you with your smile. That is why our team at Renaissance Dental in Owasso, Oklahoma, wants to share with you the truth about why some treats are bad for your teeth.
Here is a list of hazardous foods for your oral health:
– Sour candy is almost equivalent to the acidity levels in a car battery and dangerous to your teeth.
– Sugary foods can eat through your teeth causing them to rot, which is why it’s smart to avoid sugary substances.
– Hard candy, such as lollipops, candy canes, or jawbreakers, is known to chip and crack teeth and stick to your tooth enamel increasing the chance of cavities and gum disease.
– Chewy food, like gummy sweets, remain in your mouth long after you eat them because they cling to your teeth and can weaken your tooth enamel.
– Small popcorn kernels and popcorn balls can crack your teeth and can become trapped between your teeth or deep in your gums causing a toothache.
If you continue to have concerns about your oral health, or if you need to be examined by a professional dentist, please call us today at 918-272-0707 to make an appointment. Our team is happy to greet you and help you with your oral health concerns.